Community Legal Advocates of New York
Advocating for All Communities



CLA assists clients with a variety of immigration matters, including:

  • Naturalizing (becoming a U.S. Citizen)

  • Adjustment of status (getting a green card)

  • VAWA and U Visa applications

  • Renewing or replacing green cards, work authorization cards and other documents

  • DACA and TPS renewals

Getting a Green Card through Your Spouse. One common way for someone to get a green card is for their spouse to sponsor them. This is a complicated situation and requires a detailed evaluation of the specific situation. Contact CLA or another qualified immigration attorney before anyone files papers for you. Click here to learn more about spousal adjustments of status.

TPS - Temporary Protected Status. TPS is a type of temporary immigration status that gets designated for a particular country when USCIS determines that conditions in the country prevent the country's nationals from returning home safely. TPS is available to people who are already in the U.S. but can’t return to their home country. TPS has been designated after natural disasters, the outbreak of war or a severe political crisis. Click here to learn more about TPS.

U Visas. If you are undocumented and have been the victim of a serious crime while in the U.S., you should consult with CLA or another qualified immigration attorney about the possibility of applying for a U Visa. A U Visa is for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of that crime. Click here for more information about U Visas.